Living with G**s...


I really hope that no one will be shocked reading my entry title this time. Sometimes, I really missed my life in Brighton. The place was special to me. I went there with hubby, which means I didnt have the chance to experienced living in campus. Instead, I had to live with 2 of my seniors in Moulsecoomb Way, a housing for people who received benefits from the UK government. So, you can guess the type of people living there.

Sometimes, we would get teased or mocked by young children when we were waiting for our bus. The situation worsen as I wore tudung and we truly looks like Asian people. Deep in me, sometimes I wished that I could do the same thing they did to me to their children (if they are coming here). But knowing these people mentality, I just ignore the thoughts.

After a few months, the landlady wanted us to move as they were only 3 of us in the house. Initially, there were about 6-8 people in the house but most of them had flew back to Malaysia. Me and hubby did some survey and looked for a new room/house. Using my uni housefinder services, we managed to find several houses in Lewes.

Lewes is a small town with a lot of old buildings and most of the residents are elder people. We really loved the town. The residents were very nice to us. They will say hi when they meet us although they didnt know us. The treatment we received was a lot different compared to living in Brighton. A lot of our friends were shocked to see us living at Lewes but the house was nice and the environment was perfect.

We shorlisted our finding to 2 houses. The first one was good, large spaces, fully-furnished, 400pm but the downside of it was the landlady asked for references and she have a lot of small children. Her children loves to run around and it caused a lot of noises to the house below.

So, we went to look at the second house and it was a little bit smaller. The landlady was nice and the rent was 450pm. We chose this house as it was near to the bus stop and the landlady husband was a mechanic. Yes, by this time, we already had a car. The husband was a French man, Patrick and he had a cute dog called Pinky. The dog was so friendly as everytime I went to pay my rent, she will wait me at the door and try to sit at my lap when I sat down. Monica knew that I am a Muslim and she will try to keep Pinky at kitchen.

Although, the house was small but we felt comfortable living there. Monica, my landlady was so nice that she even loaned my mom her sweater during my mom's stay there.

Masyu, Nurul and Sock also had the chance to stay at this house when they came to visit me during the summer. We also had a cat, Obotchaman who later became a friend to Pinky.

After I finished my thesis, we decided to find a cheaper place as my allowance has been stopped. We decided to rent a room with our hotel's colleague, Sergio. He is an African Portuguese man. The rent was about 280pm. We need to save money for hubby to buy his plane ticket and also for the shipping purposes.

The house was very small and we did everything in the room. From preparing meals, eating, watching tv, etc. As it hard to cook, thats why we preferred to buy take-away meals at the Indian restaurants. Thats was how my love for North Indian cuisine started.

Sergio lived with another man. He said that his friend had just arrived from Spain and need a space to crash. The weird thing was this friend never go out, cooked, cleaned for him, did everything just like a wife. Even if Sergio went for clubbing, this friend would stay at home, waited for him to come back. Why we suspected they were a couple, I forgot the reason but it was confirmed that they were a couple.

Sometimes, we did feel guilty of what we did to Sergio. We ran from the house. We had asked him that we would like to get out from the room as I was going back to Malaysia and hubby need to save some money. He refused and wanted hubby to stay there. So, as a desperate measure, we planned of running away. We moved our things day by day until the day I flew back to Malaysia. This time, hubby stayed at one of our friends house. He never noticed our evil plan.

Gays are a common thing in Brighton. They have a gay town, Kemp Town near the Brighton beach and they also have the Gay Parade. I didnt managed to go to the parade as I was working that day. It was a familiar sight in Brighton. The locals even said that a woman is safe to walk alone in Brighton at night, but not the boys. So, beware boys....

p/s: I hope no one will be offended. I really have fun knowing all the culture and social life in UK and in Brighton, especially.

0 comments:

Who is Arale?

Arale wish to live in Kampung Penguin with all her friends, but now she lives with her Mr R and lil angel.

Everything that Arale write in here is for her own eye's only and anybody who is interested. If you don't like what you see/watch/read here, please leave the blog as fast as you can.


Arale's Wishlist

  • Lancer Sportback or BMW 1 series
  • More vacation trips...
  • Reno works for GH
  • Trip to USS or Disneyland HK

Twitter